Saturday, April 14, 2012

Angeles Málagueños de la Noche

"Thing to remember is if we're all alone, then we're all together in that too."

This morning I made the best decision yet, since I came to Málaga, when I decided to go with my roommate to volunteer with an organization called "Angeles Málagueños de la Noche" (Málagueños Angels of the Night). They are a nonprofit group that serves three meals a day to those in need, all day and all year long. They give each person whatever he or she may want, without judgement, no questions asked.  Especially during these times of economic crisis in Spain, it is apparent how many people are simply going without. The group of volunteers that we worked with are some of the most fun-loving, caring and compassionate people that I've met. They were so gracious and excited for us to be there to help. One of the volunteers was even giving us  Spanish dance lessons in between our tasks. As we prepared bocadillos (sandwiches), café (coffee) and pan (bread) to be served, we spoke with some of the volunteers and found out that they serve over 500 people, prepare more than 1000 bocadillos and 600 glasses of milk, juice or coffee a day. It may not sound like much, but it is always cool to see people in a community come together to serve a greater good. We tend to get caught up in trivial things in our daily lives and forget that are part of something far greater than ourselves. Every place can be a bit lonely sometimes, but it's nice to feel like you're part of something. We will be going back to volunteer with them at least once or twice a week until I leave on May 1. I wish I had found them sooner, but I don't have any regrets.

Where all the magic happens...

No comments:

Post a Comment