Saturday, March 17, 2012

Life is a Fairy Tale

Life is a fairy tale! Couldn't have asked for a better weekend, with better people, in a better place! Dream come true! This weekend 5 friends and I ventured to Dublin, Ireland to spend a long weekend. Our adventures included visits to Trinity College, Christ Church Cathedral, St. Patrick's Cathedral, the Dublin Castle, the Old Jameson Distillery and the beautiful cities of Wicklow and Glendalough. 


The Beautiful City of Dublin
Awesome Graffiti 


We were only in Dublin for three short days, but I think I speak for the entire group when I say that we fell in love. This was the first time in a month in a half that I truly felt at home. I could live in Dublin for the rest of my life and be perfectly content. I almost cried when we had to board the airplane to come back to Málaga. Everyone that I talked to laughed at me, since I was essentially dreading going back to the beach, but at that point the beach didn't even matter. Dublin was pretty cold the entire time that we were there, but that didn't even phase me. The people and the city just had so much life to them. 


The first night that we arrived in Dublin we visited Trinity College and then had the opportunity to eat a traditional three course Irish meal and watch a live Irish music and dance show and the Arlington Hotel. It was the perfect way to start our journey in Ireland off with a bang. I also found discovered two of my favorite drinks of the trip, Bailey's Irish Coffee and The Ride (Absolut Vodka, Cola Schnapps and Pineapple Juice). 


The next day we took an all day tour of the countryside to see the cities of Wicklow and Glendalough. Our tour guide was incredible and the Irish countryside is definitely a sight to see. The houses that we passed were quant and beautiful. They are exactly what you would think of when you think of old small town charm, tucked away in a big city. Hollywood has discovered the beauty of this area too, as P.S. I Love, Leap Year and Braveheart were all filmed here. It was fun to be at the film sights and know where in the movie they took place. 


Wicklow
Glendalough- Guiness Lake
That evening we spent some more time in the very famous Temple Bar District and enjoyed our time sipping drinks and enjoying live Irish music with the locals. The Irish people definitely do drinks right and they are so warm and welcoming.


The following day, and our last full day in Ireland, we started our morning off with a traditional Irish breakfast and then made our way the the Old Jameson Distillery. I was sad to be informed that Jameson Whiskey is made with barely and therefore contains wheat, but the tour was fun nonetheless. One of my friends had to take one for the team and drink my sample of the Whiskey, which I'm pretty sure he didn't mind in the slightest. This was our day of tours and we continued with visits to the Christ Church Cathedral, St. Patrick's Cathedral and the Dublin Castle. We also got our fill of souvenir shopping in. The Scotland- Ireland Rugby game was being played the weekend that we were in Dublin and we watched the game in a local Irish pub, it doesn't get more Irish than that. 


 The Old Jameson Distillery
 Christ Church Cathedral
 St. Patrick's Cathedral
 Dublin Castle
There was an abundance of chocolate and coffee everywhere we went, that in itself made my weekend. We stayed in a 20 bed hostel which actually worked out better than I thought, except for all the snoring boys. The first night be got there I didn't sleep at all, the second night one of my friends was kind enough to let me borrow his iPod, note to self bring ear plugs. 


No comments:

Post a Comment